THE CHALLENGE OF CHANGING MINDSETS
The Singaporean psyche has been conditioned to think pragmatically about our attachments to the past. There is a critical need for a better decision-making process in urban planning. We need your support in order to channel concerns in a cohesive and timely manner and make representations and recommendations for processes before development plans are finalised.
WHAT WE DO
Founded in 1987 as a non-profit, non-governmental organisation, SHS is an independent voice for heritage conservation in Singapore. Our work is guided by our definition of heritage as ‘the living presence of the past’. Singapore’s history is a vital part of our identity and growth. Social bonds are strengthened when we understand and cherish the social memories of past and present generations in the spaces we protect. These beliefs drive our key efforts in research, public education and advocacy.
Our work includes:
• rediscovering forgotten histories, from Bukit Brown, a potential World Heritage Site to Tanjong Malang, a 200-year-old historic landscape off Shenton Way;
• sustaining living heritage, exemplified by Pulau Ubin, Singapore’s last offshore island community;
• promoting cultural authenticity and vibrancy, such as with Chinatown, a historic district facing modern challenges;
• championing conservation of built heritage, particularly modern architecture dating from the 1920s to 1970s.
We reach out to the public through our publications, talks, exhibitions, guided walks, and an active presence on social media. Our research and education helps us to make a compelling case for heritage preservation to policy makers. Our approach is inclusive, and we advocate working with communities for whom the redevelopment of spaces threatens a way of life and community bonds.
Give a future to our past… before it is too late
SUPPORT US BY DONATING
Your contributions enable our advocacy work. SHS is an Institution of Public Character (IPC) and Singapore tax residents are entitled to 250% tax deduction. Find out more here.
JOIN US AS A MEMBER TO:
- Empower yourself to play an active role in civic discussions
- Stay updated on heritage issues, news and events
- Contribute to our advocacy initiatives
- Meet likeminded individuals in the heritage community
- Enjoy exclusive or priority access to events and special discounts
- BE A PROUD SUPPORTER OF AN INDEPENDENT VOICE FOR HERITAGE CONSERVATION
Click here for more information on how to join.
Download this information as a PDF.
Disclaimer: The links on this website (to blogs, sources of information, etc.) are not affiliated to the Singapore Heritage Society in any manner. We provide them for our visitors’ enjoyment, pleasure and use. As such, we do not endorse any views expressed in any of these sites. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the accuracy of the information provided on these sites. That said, we hope you’ll enjoy finding out more about Singapore’s heritage through critical use of these sources.